ENTRIES CLOSED: Winners to be announced early December
In global comparison, Southeast Asia stands out as a region marked by a particularly diverse religious landscape. Various “ethnic religions” interact with so-called “world religions”, with all of the latter being represented in the region. While religion has often been viewed as an antithesis to modernity, religions in contemporary Southeast Asian societies are not declining; on the contrary, they are intensifying and play a prime role in shaping modernization processes. At the same time, religions in Southeast Asia are as vital and diverse as they are contested.
The network of competence „Dynamics of Religion in Southeast Asia” (DORISEA) is a research network funded by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF). Over twenty researchers from various dis-ciplinary backgrounds based at the Universities of Göttingen, Hamburg, Münster, Heidelberg and Berlin (Humboldt-University) are involved in empirical research across the region, from Laos to Indonesia, and from Malaysia to Vietnam to explore the complex relationship between religion and modernity in Southeast Asia.
With this photo competition, the DORISEA network wishes to visually explore the dynamics of religion in the region in its multiple manifestations, be it religious ritual, every day religious practice or the spatial and material aspects of religion.
Please send your photographs to email@example.com Each photographer is allowed to submit up to max. 5 photographs. Each submitted photograph must include a caption (incl. date and place of pho-tograph taken). Deadline for submitting photographs is the 15 November 2013.
25 photographs will be shortlisted for online public voting on the DORISEA Network’s Facebook-Page from 7 – 31 December 2013. The ten most liked photographs will be awarded a small “prize money” (ranging from 20 € to 150 €). Winners will be informed via email by 10 January 2014.
After the contest, all shortlisted photographs will be published online on the DORISEA webpages, and will be exhibited at the Humboldt Universität zu Berlin. The photo exhibition (including the 25 shortlisted photographs) may additionally be circulated at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, the Universität Hamburg, the Universität Heidelberg and the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster.
Terms and Conditions
By entering the photos to the DORISEA Photo Competition 2013 the submitter agrees to the following terms and conditions:
• The submitter is the sole owner of the copyright of the submitted photos.
• The submitter has the necessary permission from the people who appear in the photos
• The submitter grants the competence network DORISEA the irrevocable, non-exclusive, and royalty-free right to use the images for non-commercial purposes in relation with the activities and the promotion of the competence network in any media world-wide without prior notice. If possible, the photographer will be credited whenever the photo is published. DORISEA may cut, edit, crop or ar-range the entry as it sees fit and shall be entitled to sub-license such right to third-parties. Should photos be used for commercial publications, this will only be done with prior written consent by the photographer
• Submitted photos must be 1024 px – 2048 px longest side at 72 dpi, saved in RGB/sRGB colour gamut/mode, as JPEG, with no less than compression 7 (medium) and must be no larger than 1 MB. Digital adjustments are only ac-ceptable if limited to minor cleaning work (de-dusting), levels, curves, colour, saturation and contrast work.
• If the photo is selected for exhibition purpose a higher quality version of the photo might be requested
• The submitter must be 18 years and older
• Submissions must include name, address, date of birth, email-address and (if applicable) institutional affiliation. The name and the country of residence of the photographers will be published in relation to the contest. Other personal information will be used only for the purpose of facilitating the conduct of the promotion and awarding any prizes and will not be made available to third parties.
Download the flyer (pdf format) here !